Windows 10 20H2 update is out from October 20, 2020, we are writing this post to help users for better understanding about what is in this update.
What is meant by Windows 10 Update 20H2
Microsoft was giving serial numbers to its updates based on year and month like the update, which was released in May2020 has the name of Update 2004, where 20 refers to year which is 2020 and 04 refers to moth which is April. As update was available to insider users in April so the name is showing 04, however as it was rolled out for public in May 2020 so people call it May 2020 update. As users got confused with this strategy, so Microsoft simplified the update name this time, 20H2 means update released in 2nd half of 2020, which makes the May update as 20H1, and Microsoft intends to keep it this way for all future updates which means next update to Windows 10 will be Update 21H1.
We hope our simple explanation gives you the info of how Microsoft is naming its update. Let us explore 20H2 update further.
What is included in Windows 10 Update 20H2
UI Changes in Windows 10 Update 20H2
- Start Menu do not have solid color on back.
- Microsoft Edge tabs will be shown in ALT + TAB interface.
- Notification center got an update layout with an X which will dismiss notification.
Changes in Windows Settings in Windows 10 Update 20H2
- Copy button is added to System > About, which enable users to copy specification of computer to clipboard.
- New Local user and Group modern device management (MDM) policy is introduced with which administrator can make changes to a local group.
Other Changes in Windows 10 Update 20H2
- Microsoft officially adds Chromium edge instead of regular edge in this release so if you install fresh OS, there is no need to install chrome, you will have it by default.
- In desktop mode touch experience is more optimized.
- For fresh installation of Windows, if using Microsoft accounts for Sign in, Windows will pin Your Phone, Office, or the Xbox application on Taskbar.
- Focus assistance in turned off state will not show summary of missed notifications.
How to obtain Windows 10 Update 20H2
- Open “Settings”, Click on “Update and Security”, and click on “Check for Updates”,
- If the update is available, a message will appear and show Feature Update to Windows 10, 20H2, you can click “Download and install” to install it. Windows will download the update.
- If the update is not available you can wait, as Microsoft is holding it for your device due to computability issues.
How to force Windows 10 for Windows 10 Update 20H2
Please beware that this is not recommended, you must follow below steps if you can revert or are an expert and know what you are doing.
- Visit Windows 10 Download center. You will see a page like this:
- Click on Update Now
- Open Downloaded EXE file, name would be Windows10Upgrade9252.exe, it will open a window like this:
- Click on Update Now button as shown in above image. Wizard will help you install Windows 10 20H2 update.
Editor’s note: We tried to add important updates for basic users in understandable language, Microsoft added some other features too which are not discussed due to technical reasons, also Microsoft added other features for enterprises, which we are not discussing here.